26 Nov Episode 3: A Calorie Is Not A Calorie – Part 2 : Hormones
In part 1, I showed you that not all calories are equal. I basically told you what you already knew. But this Episode hopes to fill in some gaps and show you what the keys are to fat loss and lean body maintenance. The answer: Your hormones. The great Strength Coach Charles Poliquin really opened my eyes to understanding that people store body fat according to their hormonal profile.
Me and Charles In September, 2011
Now this can get really confusing so I’ll try to make it as simple as possible.Here are the top 5 things you need to know about your hormones and fat loss:
1) You MUST control insulin. Insulin is released by the pancreas to escort carbs from the blood stream into the cells to be used as energy. BUT it also makes you store fat. See, most people dont process carbs efficiently, resulting in excess insulin production. Plus, your cells are beat up from years of donuts and bagels so their ability to absorb these carbs is impaired. Translation: your cells are decreasing their sensitivity to insulin. Most people are insulin resistant to some degree. When you are, your carbs CAN NOT be used properly for energy so they are stored as fat! So whats the solution: Eat protein and lower glycemic carbs every 3 hours to keep blood sugar levels steady.
2) The more overweight you are, the worse your hormonal profile is. Also, the higher risk you have of many diseases, some of which are fatal. So don’t wait, get moving!
3) Everyone stores fat in different places, based on what hormones are high or low. For example, if you have a muffin top, you’re eating too many carbs. If you have relatively too much abdominal fat, your cortisol levels are too high. So chill out and learn to handle stress better! However, if you have excess bodyfat everywhere, you just need to drop that body fat!
Say No To Muffins
4) Your hormones can be improved. By sleeping better, and improving your nutrition and lifestyle habits, significant hormonal changes can be made. To take it a step further, running special Poliquin supplement protocols can improve all of the following: low morning energy, focus and memory, workout capacity, digestion, mood, testosterone and anabolic hormones, while letting youspot fat loss, prevent illness and make you feel better! There are many other protocols that Poliquin offers and members will get full access to them all! To learn more, go our section on Biosignature Modulation.
5) The type of exercise you do GREATLY impacts fat loss and lean body maintenance. See Episode 4 to get the scoop!